Anita completes move to Newcastle
Vurnon Anita: from Ajax to Newcastle
NEWCASTLE, England ● Vurnon Anita has completed his move to Newcastle United from Ajax, signing a five-year deal.
Anita, 23, is a defensive midfielder who is also capable of operating in defence and Newcastle boss Alan Pardew believes he can be a major asset.
“We are delighted to secure the services of Vurnon,” he told the club’s official website. “He is an exceptionally talented footballer with great technical ability, which is exactly what I’m looking at in a player, and, at 23-years-old, we hope his best years are at Newcastle.
“He has come through the Ajax youth system, which is world renowned for bringing up players the right way, and I am sure he will fit seamlessly into the squad of players we have here.”
Pardew also said that Anita will be ready for action immediately, meaning he is likely to play some part of the weekend’s fixture against Tottenham Hotspur.
“Vurnon has done his pre-season, and indeed already played one competitive game, so he’s up to speed and ready to play when I need him.”
Prior to signing his deal with Newcastle, Anita had revealed that he had sought confirmation of his role in the side.
“I talked to the manager and the coach and they know that I want to play in a defensive midfield place and that’s why they brought me here,” Anita said, “but I can play at left-back or right-back, so that’s also no problem.” The midfielder, who has represented Netherlands three times, also said he had spoken with compatriot Tim Krul prior to moving to Tyneside.
“He told me to join Newcastle, and said it was a very nice club with great supporters and everything is nice and that he would like me to come here,” he said. “I trust him so I think we can have a nice time here.”
Meanwhile, Ajax manager Frank De Boer has backed the player to do well in the Premier League:
Speaking to the Evening Chronicle, De Boer said: “Newcastle fans will see a player who can deal with the game in England.
“He goes to Newcastle United with my best wishes. He is one of the hardest working young players I have ever seen. He deserves a move to a club like Newcastle United. He gives 300% for you. He is always concentrating on his game and he never ever gives up. He has a bright future ahead.”
● Borussia Dortmund forward Robert Lewandowski has ruled out a transfer away from the German champions this summer.
Lewandowski, 24 next week, currently has a contract through until 2014 with last season’s double winners.
The Poland international, who netted a hat-trick against Bayern Munich in the DFB Pokal final in May, contributed 22 goals and ten assists in Dortmund’s title-winning campaign and has aroused interest from Europe’s top clubs, with Bayern, Manchester United, Chelsea and Juventus among his reported suitors.
But despite previously expressing a desire to play in the Premier League, Lewandowski has now declared his intention to stay in the Bundesliga with Dortmund.
“I am not interested in the speculation surrounding me,” Lewandowski told Polish newspaper Przeglad Sportowy. “I have another two years on my contract and I am a Borussia Dortmund player.
“We have a match coming up this weekend and this is what matters. I am concentrating on next season and not on what could be in two years’ time.”
● Former Tottenham and Everton striker Louis Saha, has signed a one-year deal with Sunderland.
Saha, 34, was a free agent after leaving Spurs, and confirmed on Thursday via his Twitter account that he was in discussions with the Wearside club.
The Paris-born striker is available for selection for Sunderland’s trip to Emirates Stadium this weekend and is likely to go straight into the travelling squad.
● Andre Villas-Boas is hopeful of bolstering his striking options before the close of the transfer window, as the club attempt to conclude a deal for Emmanuel Adebayor.
Adebayor, 28, spent last season on loan at Tottenham from Manchester City and since the end of the 2011-12 campaign Spurs have been in talks over making his stay permanent.
So far the club have been unable to agree terms, leaving Villas-Boas with Jermain Defoe as his only recognised striker ahead of their opening match of the Premier League term against Newcastle.
Asked about the Adebayor deal, Villas-Boas said: “There are talks. They have been happening for quite some time.
“We have touched on different players in that position, but we have not been able to conclude a deal. Our focus and attention is towards that position, which we will try to sort out next week.”
● Nottingham Forest have signed Chelsea defender Sam Hutchinson on a season-long loan deal.
Hutchinson, 23, was forced to retire in 2010 after he was dogged by a knee injury, having emerged through the youth system at Chelsea.
However, in December of last year he signed a new contract at Stamford Bridge following a dramatic improvement in the condition of his knee.
Hutchinson rounded off the season by making his first Premier League start for Roberto Di Matteo’s men against Blackburn on the final day of the campaign.